--- Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jan Coffey wrote:
>
> >Yes Dan but that still doesn't change the fact that mechanicaly the words
> in
> >ones vocabulary are still -memorized-. Whether you sat down and rote
> >memorized them or memorized them over time, based on familiarity. It isn't
> >system.
> >

> But languages _are_ systems.

We are overloading the word system.

> I never  memorized anything by rote and I always did lousy in school but
> has always been very good at taking standardized tests.  Why?  The
> questions can be analyzed and wrong answers eliminated logically.

You have to have a lot memorized (even if it is not -as I said- by rote) to
be able to do this.

For example:

26) Please select the most appropriat answer. Then in the space provided
explain how you found the correct answer through annalysis:

         _Shacklicken_ is to  _Wabberjtincil_
         as _Viperdart is to _______________

a)Aquatart
b)Tabberlathen
c)Shloowackler
d)feadildilt

> > You can't learn the system and then be able to discover or "create"
> > words based on that system which can then be found as valid words in the
> dictionary.
>
> Wrong again. You aren't able to create new words, but you most certainly
> can create sentences, paragraphs and essays.  Just like in other systems
> that don't allow you to change the basic building blocks.

Actualy I am not wrong. I specificaly used the word discover. Let's use
mathmatics as an example. you have the number 0 and the successor function.
By applying the successor function to 0 you can aquire 1 etc. etc. Whether or
not you know what to "call" 1 you can ~discover~ it.

We are not talking about being able to ~change~ anything just the creation or
~discovery~ or something that is already a valid "building block".

We seem to be degrading into a discussion of linguistics. Ok.

Natural languages vary in how well formed they are. In the case of english
the rules are not strict. You can not learn the rules and then use them
consistently corectly. As such it is not what I would describe as a "system"
using the assumed definition which you then overloaded. (case in point
actualy). You have to memorize which rule applies in which cases, and the
~reasons~ these rulls apply in their particular cases has no basis. It
requires memorization (whether it is rote or not).

Granted in cases where the most probable answer is based on the probabliity
of one rule applying you can guess resaonably well. Of course the probabliity
requires memorization as well, and this probabliity is most often based on
the way the word is spelled not on the way it sounds. You would therefore
have to be able to spell the word properly or at least to have some
predjudice for one spelling over another. This again is the same type of
degraded ~system~ without proper rules. You just have to memorize it.

=====