From: "Dan Minette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Girls more confident of success
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:36:17 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Coffey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 11:53 AM Subject: RE: Girls more confident of success

> --- ritu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Jan Coffey wrote:
> >
> > > BS
> > >
> > > what we are seeing is a focus by society on the things girls
> > > are good at as
> > > apposed to a focus by society at what the individual is good at.
> >
> > Are you saying that the curriculum has changed over the years or that
> > girls are better at studying?
> > And if you are saying neither of the above, then could you please
> > explain what the remark meant in that particular context? :)
> >

> Sure, Girls are better (as a group) at -memorizing- which is what is ment
by
> -studying-.

Nah, studying is spending time on schoolwork.  If one is studying a
language, one does have to memorize vocabulary; there usually isn't enough
classroom time to learn vocabulary in the context of how it is spoken.
Although, after one gets to a certain point, one can learn vocabulary by
reading the language.

In any decent program, courses like history or English teach analytical
skills.  Tests such as the SAT do not test rote memorization, so the fact
that girls do well on those tests indicates that more than rote
memorization goes on.

So you don't consider simply learning the meaning of vocabulary words to be rote memorization? There used to be (and probably still is) a large portion of the SAT devoted to choosing the definition of a given vocabulary word. I'm not sure how (frex) knowing the meaning of 'panache' could be considered analytic.

Jon

Le Blog: http://zarq.livejournal.com