----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Gabriel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: Girls more confident of success

> >From: "Dan Minette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: Girls more confident of success
> >Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:36:17 -0500

I can't memorize worth a hoot; and I have a fairly large vocabulary.  The
natural way to increase one's vocabulary is to read works by authors with
wide vocabuaries, listen to people with large vocabularies, and use an
extensive vocabulary in one's own writing and discussions.

I remember when I was a kid, there was, in the back of our family
dictionary, a vocabulary estimate based on the magazine one read (obviously
one would chose the highest vocabulary if one read several.  Reader's
Digest was about 20k, Time was about 30k, and Amazing Stories topped the
list at about 40k.

I'm guessing that my vocabulary is actually shrinking now; but I think it
was >50k at its peak.  Less than 500 of those words were from vocabulary
words in school.

>There used to be (and probably still is) a large portion
> of the SAT devoted to choosing the definition of a given vocabulary word.

I just checked sample SAT tests, and they didn't have just a choose the
definition section.  Half of the sections were analyzing text; the other
half were vocabulary related.  The vocabulary related were either insert a
word in a sentence or A:B as C:D, given A, B, C, choose D.  I always did
this analytically when it wasn't obvious from the first second. When it was
self evident, the thought process was too fast to analyze.

Dan M.