--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Gautam Mukunda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> --- ritu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Gord told me:
> > connectivity and
> > > speed than
> > >
> > > Why is that heretical? I would think it would be
> > obvious, considering
> > > the population density.
> >
> > Um, the heretical bit was a joke...
> > I found the information surprising though and
> > although the population
> > density bit looks obvious now, it still hasn't
> > worked out quite that way
> > here yet.
> >
> > Ritu
>
> Also, the South Korean government has made a _huge_
> push for internet connectivity, far more than any
> other in the world.
>
> I wanted to point out that the best estimates for
> total jobs lost to outsourcing to India in the US are
> that the number is substantially less than 500,000 -
> in other words, below the "noise" level in the
> statistics?

Sorry, but your numbers I believe are wrong. It is 1 in 6 jobs that
are going to India, that's not 1 in 6 tech jobs, it's 1 in 6 jobs.

> That doesn't include the (many more) jobs
> _created_ by offshoring to India, but just the losses.

What jobs created? Where are these jobs? What are they doing? Do they
use the skills so many invested 5 years and over $300,000 to aquire?

>  So all Jan's arguments are about so few jobs that if
> they weren't going to Indians - <SNIP> - there would
> be no attention paid to it at all.

Your just wrong. We are not talking about "so few jobs". We are
talking about 1 in 6, and I don't even know what the stat is on tech
to other jobs. I do know, that a good deal of the people I know are,
or will soon be, on the streets. Their lives altered so that some fat
cat can make a quick profit before he retires.

And you know, you are probably right, the fact that the pervious
tactic was to bring Indeans and Chinese here to fill the same jobs
for 1/2 the wages probably has a lot to do with the animosity,
especialy when it is the American citizens who are being laid off,
while H1rs get to keep their jobs.

> One other point.  The _US_ is a primary offshoring
> location.  Every Japanese car factory in the US is
> offshoring, after all.  I'm curious if Jan objects to
> that as well.

My personal opinon is that long as their is one Japanese, skilled,
and willing to build cars in Japan, who does not have a job, there
should no American employed to do the same work.