Jan Coffey wrote:

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Sounds like the average Hispanic is subject to the "last bastard"
> > syndrome -- "I'm the last bastard that should have gotten in,
> nobody
> > come in after me".
> >
> > (I first heard this term on a local talk radio show, referring to
> people
> > coming to Austin.  I didn't think *I* should be the last bastard,
> I just
> > thought they should have stopped coming about 2 1/2 years after I
> > married and became an official resident.  ;)
>
> Why do you think people don't want more, well, people?
>
> I think it is stability, not only of culture but also financial.
> Isn't it the rate, not the actual influx with causes that
> instability? Could slowing the rate not only stabalize the culture,
> but also stabalize the economic outlook for those already there?

Actually, in my case, it was traffic.  :)  Traffic started getting to
the point of unreasonableness sometime in 1994, IMO.

Or if everyone coming in had had the same sort of driving habits as the
people already here, that would have been fine.  But we got examples of
the regional stereotypical bad driving habits of several regions, and
you didn't know what to expect on the road anymore.  (With the
newcomers, for the first few weeks while they still had the out-of-state
plates it was OK.  Once they had Texas plates, though, there was no clue
as to how they were going to act in traffic.)

The other thing which has nothing to do with the "last bastard" syndrome
was that the character of pickup truck drivers changed somewhat, so I
didn't know which set of behaviors to expect from a newer pickup truck.
(People driving older ones fit into one of two behavior patterns, so I
could predict what they would do based on just a little bit of observed
behavior on the road.)

        Julia