--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Charlie Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Here's another, to illustrate the point - a fertility clinic is
> on fire. The fire service is 20 minutes away, and can't help. On
> one floor, there are 100 infants. On another, is the frozen
> embryo storage facility, with 100 liquid nitrogen storage
> containers, each containing 100 embryos. You can only keep the
> fire from getting to one of the floors long enough to clear it,
> the other will be lost.
> What do you do?
>
> I'd be willing to bet that nearly everyone would save the 100
> infants  over the 10,000 embryos. Because, no matter how much
> the "right to life" is espoused, no matter how much some people
> talk of embryos as  "children" and claim they see them as equal,
> people do value babies more. And if you can understand why, then
> you can understand why
> abortions up to 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through pregnancy are not
> considered murder by a lot of people.

This is, of course, an absurd hypothetical, sort of like the
questions we used to ask as a kid - would you rather slide down a
set of razors into a pool of rubbing alcohol or be burned alive?

Anyhow, if one changes the example such that on the second floor are
150 Senior Citizens, I suspect that most people save the infants
first.   Of course, I doubt that you would then be reaching the
conclusions that Senior Citizens don't have the "right to live" or
that Senior Citizens aren't equal, and that killing a citizen isn't
murder.

QED.

JDG