On 6 Sep 2006 at 6:31, Richard Baker wrote:

> Isn't "might makes right" basically the religious position? "I > believe

Nope. At least, not for Jews.

> in an all-powerful God. That God says these things are good and  >those are
> evil, therefore I believe these are good and those are >evil." (And

Again, Jews believe there are universal standards for good and for
righteousness (and that the most certainly don't need to be a Jew to
be righteous) - and further, the Bible states that the Law of the
Land is the Law.

> Or: how does God Himself decide what is good and evil? Isn't He, at
> least, basically in the same position as us atheists?

No. You're commiting the basic theological falicy (again, in Jewish
terms) of thinking of G-d as a Human. To eff the ineffible. Which is
understandable (especially since Christians HAVE adopted a Human
aspect to their G-d) but from our POV the question is meaningless in
context.

AndrewC

Dawn Falcon