On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, James Wilde wrote:

> The scenario resembles this one:  we are an ISP.  Customer doesn't pay
> the bill.  He gets routed to a captive server, from which we wish him to
> get one message: Pay your bill.  When bill is paid, he is no longer
> routed to that server.

We have something somewhat similar.

Our systems are such that everyone in kerberos-land can successfully
authenticate to any of several IMAP servers, but home directories exist
only on the user's "home" server. We return a "Your mail is not on this
server"  inbox to clients configured for the wrong imap server.

-    myHomeDir = cpystr (home); /* set home directory */
+    sprintf (tmp,"/var/imap/%.1s/%s",myUserName,myUserName);
+    if (!stat (tmp,&sbuf) && (sbuf.st_mode & S_IFDIR)) {
+      myHomeDir = cpystr (tmp);
+    } else {
+      myHomeDir = ANONYMOUSHOME;
+      sysInbox = "/var/spool/mail/anonymous";
+    }

A read-only anonymous INBOX works fine for IMAP, and saves you from the
limitations of imapalert. However, POP3 appears to *require* a writeable
INBOX, so our POP3 users who log on to the "wrong" server get nothing. This
is acceptable to us because we strongly recommend IMAP and refuse non-SSL
POP3 logins (i.e., the default "Outlook Express wizard" doesn't work, they
need to follow our directions to enable SSL, which usually succeeds in
getting them to use IMAP), but you probably need POP3.

Suggestion: Break the incoming email alias for [EMAIL PROTECTED], and install
a cron job to replace /var/spool/mail/deadbeat with a writeable "pay your
bill" mailbox once per day? This will allow both IMAP and POP3 to "work."
IMAP clients get the message once, POP3 clients get a new copy once per
day.
--
Rich Graves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
UNet Systems Administrator