Hello.

I upgraded today my imap server (GNU/Linux) to imap-2002e. When I
tried to install the new imapd and ipop3d binaries in /usr/local/sbin,
the system complained with a "text file busy", because it was handling
some IMAP connexions; fine. So I decided to stop currently running
imapd processes to be able to install the new binaries:

- edited /etc/inetd.conf and commented out imap/pop lines,

- pkill -HUP inetd

- pkill imapd   (<= here's my error)

- installed new binaries

- edited back /etc/inetd.conf

- pkill -HUP inetd

Apparently all went fine, but in fact, some of the users using
Mozilla, Netscape, Eudora or OE found their mailboxes in the state
corresponding to hours or days back (probably when they last started
their IMAP client, or did the last expunge).

My question is : how can I stop the IMAP processes on the server, and
keep the mailboxes consistent ?

Thanks.

--
Nicolas