Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 July 2008 09:50:03 adonis28850 wrote:
>> thanks Hugo, i know there's a Eclipse plug-in, but i would like to get it
>> on NetBeans,so if someone could help i will thanks!
>
> If I might stick my oar in: why don't the OCaml community write an IDE for
> OCaml in OCaml using Camlp4 for parsing with throwback and LablGTK for the
> GUI?

Because writing one that is usable and complete requires a *lot* of
effort. Maybe the authors of cameleon (http://home.gna.org/cameleon/)
could also comment on the amount of work and commitment that is
required to build one of these things.

> This has long since seemed like an obvious idea to me but everyone continues
> to battle on with tools like Emacs and Eclipse that are (IMHO) horrendous.

Hmmm... if I recall correctly you mentioned one of the advantages of
using F# is its IDE (Visual Studio?). In fact code-completion seemed to
be one of the functionalities you pointed out as useful. Well, OcaIDE
has this. And much more. I figure if you believe a full blown IDE for
F# is advantageous, then it should also stand for Eclipse, Netbeans,
or any other IDE.

Mind you, I assume your "horrendous" may also have something to do with
the plug-ins quality. I believe OcalIDE is quite usable at this point in
time. So.. try it out. Join the forum and give you feedback.

BTW, I am harping on this issue because I truly believe that a good IDE
is an excellent medium for promoting the use of Ocaml.

Rgrds,
HF.