ok, I'm an absolute newbie myself so I'm just guessing away here, but since
nobody else is responding, here goes ;D

I can't see a single line of code that would be responsible for creating
the db file. Is the app.db file in your project directory on the instance?
If not, can you try copying it from the local environment to see if it
fixes the problem?
Also, are you sure sqlite3 gem has built native extensions properly?

You really got me curious here ;D Please be sure to let me know if you
manage to solve the problem :)