Hi, Jack,

On Jul 22, 2014, at 1:46 PM, Jack Hickish wrote:

> Judging by the switch diagnostics, everything is making it through the
> switch and only being dropped at the ROACH RX end. I'm digging through
> the switch manual at the moment, but haven't found anything too
> promising looking so far.
> It would seem that some of the SFP ports on the ROACH are noticeably
> worse than others -- the long cable pretty consistently causes
> problems everywhere, but if I use only the worst ports with the short
> cable, they get much better, but far from perfect.

You could try going from ROACH2 to switch to 10 GbE NIC is a PC.  If that works
fine (I suspect it will), then the problem would indeed seem to tbe on the
ROACH2 RX side.

> I've twiddled the SFP+ RX parameters on the roach, but to no avail
> (though I think these only affect the short link between the FPGA and
> the vitesse tranceiver anyway, I can't see any control ports between
> the FPGA and the vitesse in system.mhs)

Oh, yeah, the pre-emph and other parameters that can be changed in the 10 GbE
yellow block are only for the MGT drivers in the ROACH2 FPGA that talk to the
Vitesse PHY.  I think there is an MDIO interface to the SFP+ PHY that might
provide a path for tweaking things in the SFP+ PHY itself.  This MDIO interface
used to be unreliable, but I think it has been fixed (though I haven't tried it
since then).

Dave