You don't need to run the *_init.m files yourself, matlab does that for you.

Click the  "set path" button in matlab and make sure you see the directory
that will be something like .../mlib_devel/casper_library

I suspect that you don't have your startsg.local or startup.m

at the matlab prompt, what does
getenv('MLIB_DEVEL_PATH')
return?

It should point at your mlib_devel directory.

Glenn