I just tried this by putting a spare network interface on to 100mbps and also
forcing the ROACH1 eth0 to 100mpbs - this did not help. Looks like the ethernet
device on the ROACH1 is dead.

I used mii-tool to force 100mbps operation:

root@roach:~# mii-tool -F 100baseTx-HD eth0
root@roach:~# mii-tool eth0
eth0: 100 Mbit, half duplex, link ok

And similar command on a server with spare eth3 (connected to the ROACH in
question).

Cheers,
Ramesh