Update about the Trumpeter Swan I saw earlier in the week along Armitage Road.
I posted about it in the Cayuga Bird Club Facebook group, so you can see the
pics and certificate there. Even if you don't have a Facebook account, you
should be able to follow this link and still see the photos:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cayugabirdclub/permalink/4551836878187425/

Here's what the certificate said:

Species:          Trumpeter Swan
Sex:                 male
Banded:          01/31/2021
Band number: 1959-03150 Z50
Age:                Hatched in 2020 or earlier
Location:         Near Burlington Ontario Canada

The last time I found a tagged Trumpeter Swan (on Mill Pond in Union Springs
several years ago), I reported it and got the info back. I shared it then like
I am doing now, and through Facebook I was connected with someone who works on
that swan banding project! I shared this new tagged swan information with her
last night and here's what she said:

--

These are the sighting reports for Z50 we have on file, we don't know where the
parents nest unfortunately.

He has been off the radar so to speak from March 20 when he was last reported
in Burlington, Ontario until just a few days before you saw him. It is possible
the parents nest down there somewhere? The cygnets will often follow the
parents back to nest locations but the parents can also leave them behind in
the spring and the juveniles have to find their own way around.
Nice to see he survived his first summer on his own. Hopefully he returns to
Burlington this winter. Will have to wait and see.

The primary bander on this project suspects they are far north nester because
they always come early and stay late. Usually birds from Northern Ontario have
this pattern.

Such interesting information! If you missed my first post about it, scroll
down, I included it.

--
Alyssa Johnson
Environmental Educator