My wife and I want to minimize both our energy use and our fossil fuel use.
Because of our modest income, we qualified for a subsidy through this exact
fund to get a hybrid electric water heater last year. It uses an air source
heat pump, which chills the basement, as well as the standard
much-less-energy-efficient electric resistance heating as a backup. After we
got this water heater, a representative of Halco, who bought out the smaller
local company which installed the water heater, told us that all appliances
these days are not built to last, and urged us to buy a maintenance package
with a yearly fee which would have eaten up our monetary savings on energy.
This morning we are having Halco come look at the water heater, because the air
source heat pump part, which was surprisingly noisy, has quit working. A
previous electric water heater, which came with the old house we bought, had
worked for an additional 20 years before it had any problems.

We thought we were doing something good for the environment, and maybe we were,
but some wealthier people who burn a lot of fossil fuel for a more extravagant
lifestyle and realize their impact but want to clear their conscience, those
folks are also taking the credit.

Carbon offsets are neither simple nor clear in the way they work, if they work
at all. IMO, there’s no substitute for actually reducing personal energy use in
general and fossil fuel use in particular.

- - Dave Nutter