Thanks for that. A couple of issues. One is the resulting heavy cost of
change, Think checklists,alphanumeric codes, field guides are three that
immediately come to mind. When we did the second printing of the National
Geo guide, we opted to new editions and not an errata list of changes. My
plant guides are already full of redactions and pen/ink changes.
Second is the question of not changing scientific names. Does this mean
that the Wilsonia will remain intact?
John

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 7:12 AM Linda Orkin <wingmagi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Very interesting Irene. Thank you for providing this document!
>
> Linda Orkin
>
> On Nov 5, 2023, at 2:04 PM, Irene Liu <il...@cornell.edu> wrote:
>

> Hi everyone, I was a member of the ad hoc English Bird Names committee.
> Great to read everyone's comments and to know that people are reflecting on
> the recommendations we wrote. I encourage those wondering about why we
> endorsed removing all eponyms, including eponyms honoring people who made
> important contributions to ornithology, to read our justification for that
> particular recommendation here: here:
> https://americanornithology.org/about/english-bird-names-project/english-bird-names-committee-recommendations/#justification
>
> Apologies if I'm duplicating anyone else's response. I receive the digest
> and so am not reading messages in real time.
>
> Cheers,
> Irene Liu
> Ithaca, NY
> Welcome and Basics
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME.htm>
> Rules and Information
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES.htm>
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> *Archives:*
> The Mail Archive
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
> ABA <https://www.aba.org/birding-news/>
> <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!*

> Welcome and Basics
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME.htm>
> Rules and Information
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES.htm>
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> *Archives:*
> The Mail Archive
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
> ABA <https://www.aba.org/birding-news/>
> <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!*

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")