I also want to thank Irene Liu for posting the link to the full explanatory
document.  After paying attention to this discussion since the idea first
emerged a couple years ago, I will say that my biggest take home message is
that there is great benefit in having thoughtful discussion of any idea.
Irene's link provides lots of evidence that thoughtful discussion
happened.  When I read the document, points were raised that I could never
have dreamed of on my own.  My imagination was expanded and my
understanding was deepened.  Like many others, I was lukewarm on the idea
at first, and now am very supportive of it for reasons that never would
have occurred to me if I just considered the idea in the vacuum of my own
living room.  The points laid out in the link Irene provided helped me look
at the issue with a different perspective. Having access to that document
highlighting and summarizing a lengthy set of discussions was awesome.
Thanks again for that, Irene.

Also, bird names change every year, following another proscribed process
that most folks may not know about.  Sometimes it is the common name that
is changed, but most often it is the scientific name as ornithologists'
understanding of taxonomic relationships deepens. About a decade ago, "our
warblers" underwent a huge taxonomic rearrangement that included the
elimination of the genus "Dendroica" which was the genus name for a large
number of warblers at that time.  Most were moved into the genus Setophaga.
Wilson's Warbler, which had been in the genus Wilsonia was rearranged into
the genus Cardellina (along with Canada Warbler).  So, John, Wisonia has
not existed for several years!

This year, lots of shorebirds that are familiar to us here in central NY
have been rearranged taxonomically, with some in new genera, and many
rearranged in terms of which ones are most closely related to which other
ones (which ones come first, second, third, etc. in the taxonomic list).

In the birding world, names change on a frequent basis because
ornithologists are trying to get it right.  Most of the time, the "it" is
science.  Sometimes "it" is naming conventions as in getting the Greek or
Latin right, changing plural endings to singular endings, changing an "a"
to an "us" at the end of the species name, etc. This announced change is
just another form of naming convention change that happens quite
frequently.  I like that there is so much communication about this
particular upcoming change.

Jody
Jody W. Enck, PhD
Conservation Social Scientist, and
Founder of the Sister Bird Club Network
607-379-5940

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 7:46 AM John Gregoire <johnandsuegrego...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for that. A couple of issues. One is the resulting heavy cost of
> change, Think checklists,alphanumeric codes, field guides are three that
> immediately come to mind. When we did the second printing of the National
> Geo guide, we opted to new editions and not an errata list of changes. My
> plant guides are already full of redactions and pen/ink changes.
> Second is the question of not changing scientific names. Does this mean
> that the Wilsonia will remain intact?
> John
>
> On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 7:12 AM Linda Orkin <wingmagi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Very interesting Irene. Thank you for providing this document!
>>
>> Linda Orkin
>>
>> On Nov 5, 2023, at 2:04 PM, Irene Liu <il...@cornell.edu> wrote:
>>

>> Hi everyone, I was a member of the ad hoc English Bird Names committee.
>> Great to read everyone's comments and to know that people are reflecting on
>> the recommendations we wrote. I encourage those wondering about why we
>> endorsed removing all eponyms, including eponyms honoring people who made
>> important contributions to ornithology, to read our justification for that
>> particular recommendation here: here:
>> https://americanornithology.org/about/english-bird-names-project/english-bird-names-committee-recommendations/#justification
>>
>> Apologies if I'm duplicating anyone else's response. I receive the digest
>> and so am not reading messages in real time.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Irene Liu
>> Ithaca, NY
>> --
>> Welcome and Basics
>> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME.htm>
>> Rules and Information
>> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES.htm>
>> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
>> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
>> *Archives:*
>> The Mail Archive
>> <http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
>> Surfbirds <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds>
>> ABA <https://www.aba.org/birding-news/>
>> *Please submit your observations to eBird
>> <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!*
>> --
>>
>> --
>> Welcome and Basics
>> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME.htm>
>> Rules and Information
>> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES.htm>
>> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
>> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
>> *Archives:*
>> The Mail Archive
>> <http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
>> Surfbirds <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds>
>> ABA <https://www.aba.org/birding-news/>
>> *Please submit your observations to eBird
>> <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!*
>> --

> [...]

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")