At least topic is getting some attention!

Ken

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ0nVxD2Nck

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 6, 2023, at 10:09 AM, Alicia Plotkin <t...@ottcmail.com> wrote:

 The full Committee Report with its recommendations
here<https://americanornithology.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/1-AOS-EBNC_recommendations_23_10_19.pdf>.
  It's easy to read & has some interesting material not included in the public
statement put up on the web page.

The Committee seems not to have considered the question of costs that
individual birders might bear, but for the AOS itself it found (pp 25-26):
Administrative support for this step will not be trivial. For the public
comment period, interactive
platform(s) will need to be set up in order to moderate and accept the desired
input. For
broadcasting new names and general publicity, substantial investment will
likely need to be
made for setting up workflows to track and manage web and social media
communications,
publish press releases, and handle media relations. ...
We recognize this process is potentially costly. If the cost is prohibitive,
then partnerships with
other bird-focused organizations may be a step to consider. Different
organizations could pool
resources to implement each step of the public engagement process and take
ownership of
different steps in the workflow. This collaboration will add another layer of
complexity in project
management and require time for strategic planning discussions (e.g.,
reconciling institutional
priorities, actively facilitating dynamics to ensure different groups do not
feel differently treated
because of what they might be able to contribute).

In answer to John's other question, the committee recommended as follows on pp
9-10:
The committee is also not making recommendations on scientific names. As in all
of
zoology, avian scientific naming procedures follow the International Code of
Zoological
Nomenclature (ICZN), which is beyond the purview of the AOS. The International
Commission on Zoological Nomenclature recently established its position
opposing the
use of ethical reasons alone to justify the renaming of scientific Latin names
of taxa.
So if this is indeed how it play's out, wilsonii can continue as a species name
for the Cuban Kite (so long as it survives) and Wilson's Plover.  However the
genus Wilsonii disappeared when based on genetic studies, Hooded Warbler was
moved to Setophaga and Wilson's & Canada were placed in Cardellina in 2011.

Alicia