Photos were posted to the Facebook group "Birds of Montezuma National
Wildlife Refuge" by Bob and Diane Slater on Monday, November 13, at
6:30pm. A comment says "it flew in front of us around 4:30 pm, in the
dead tree near the Eagle tree".

The post URL is
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172217523476266/posts/1688992451798758/
but I think it's only visible to members of that group.

Suan

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 9:16 PM Dave Nutter <nutter.d...@me.com> wrote:

> Today I learned of - and eventually saw - a regionally rare Snowy Egret along
> the Wildlife Drive at Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge.
>
> I first learned of it from a text rare bird alert from Mark Miller at 10:25am
> that it was “last seen at Seneca Flats,” but I wondered about Mark’s use of
> passive voice and the lack of any picture from this avid photographer. As I
> prepared to look for the bird there was not yet any eBird report from Mark
> either.
>
> But there was an eBird report from earlier this morning by David Kennedy, who
> takes gorgeous photos and seems to either find, re-find, or document most of
> the rarities around Montezuma. He included 5 pictures with the comment that
> it was “Feeding along east shore of Seneca Flats,” and in this case it was a
> re-find because he said it was “seen and photographed by Bob S. yesterday.”
>
> This appears to be the first documented record of Snowy Egret in the Cayuga
> Lake Basin this year, and as I try to maintain First Records records list,
> I’m looking for some help. Who is Bob S? Can I find the photo and record of
> his sighting? Where did he see it? At this point I’m not trying to verify the
> ID, I’m just looking for the standard information and credit that I include
> on the list.
>
> Today, thanks to text rare bird alert messages, several additional people saw
> this small, active egret at various places along the Wildlife Drive’s first
> straightaway, and the adjacent Seneca River. Generally it progressed north
> from Seneca Flats. It’s hard to say where it will be tomorrow, but I hope
> that, if it sticks around in publicly accessible places, folks continue to
> share its whereabouts so others can see this beautiful bird.
>
> - - Dave Nutter
> Welcome and Basics
> Rules and Information
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> Archives:
> The Mail Archive
> Surfbirds
> ABA

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")