From: CCP4 bulletin board [CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] on behalf of Andre Godoy
[andre_go...@yahoo.com.br]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:18 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] crystals with large solvent content -dehydratation

Dear all

I'm trying to solve a beautiful large crystal that, unfortunately, doesn't go
further than 5 A resolution. I believe that in this case, the lack of
resolution is due the high solvent content (about 66%). Therefore, my next
strategy should be the dehydratation. Yet, I never (sucessfully) did that. I
read different approachs, were people equilibrate crystals in dehydratation
solution for days, or do more than 20 steps, or add solvents. Since i never had
sucess in my trials, I was thinking that someone can suggest a protocol (should
I remove all salt?, should I keep the additive concentration?, how much
precipitant should I add? how many steps?).

crystal condition: 23% PEG 3350, 0.2M NaCl, 0.1M Tris pH 8.5, 3% galactose
(orthorhombic crystals, with about  0.6 x 0.6 mm)

all the best,

Andre Godoy