We no longer use the reusable bases for the same reasons, but we do re-use our
bases. If you use superglue to glue the pins into the bases, you can remove the
pins from the bases by soaking them in acetone. This works about 75% of the
time, especially if you are careful not to use too much superglue when you glue
the pin into the base.

It goes without saying that the use of acetone will dissolve the loop, but then
the main reason we remove the pin is due to imperfections in the loop, so no
big deal.

Whenever we see the motions that you describe, we postulate that somehow the
pins were damaged and they are loose in the base. Occasionally this motion is
ascribed to ice between the base of the pin and the magnetic mount, but this
happens very rarely in our experience.

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry
UT Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816