Moin El Dee,

on 2010-07-18 at 21:57:36 CEST, you wrote:

> Greetings folks,
>
> A couple questions if you will:
>
> (a) Is CenterIM still maintained?  I'd noticed some issues with centerim that
> have been
> going on a while and I was wondering if anyone was maintaining it anymore?

Yep, it is. The only "problem" currently is that there are too few people
willing (and skilled) to work on it.

Feel free to contribute :)

> (b) If it is not being maintained anymore, does anyone know of an alternative
> CenterIM?  I need something that can access Yahoo IM that is capable of using
> a console /
> text interface (preferably built upon curses or ncurses).  The YIM protocol
> seems to be
> broken the last few months.  I noticed connection issues arose in CIM around
> the same
> time as with Pidgin, but the Pidgin / GAIM issues have been long since
> resolved.
>
> I hope nobody takes any offensive to my inquiry as none is intended.  I
> really like CIM a
> lot, it's great software.  If this is the end of the road for CIM I would at
> least like to
> offer a shout out of gratitude to the authors as it served its purpose well
> for a very
> long time, your efforts were or are appreciated.

It's not (yet) the end of CIM, it's just a matter of fact that the yahoo
problems can not be fixed at the moment. There's a project going on called
CIM5, which is AFAIK planned to implement the libpurple infrastructure (which is
also used by pidgin and others), but this is not yet in releasable state.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

        Frank Altpeter

--
FA-RIPE || http://www.altpeter.de/