----- Message d'origine -----De: Ken Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Date: Mardi,
Novembre 13, 2007 11:04 amObjet: Re: [CentOS] Need advice on storageÀ:
centos@centos.org> > Thanks Ken.That's a good thing  to know that software
striping > won't  > > really boost performance, i  then won't waste money on
that > avenue.   > > I cannot explain why as i  don't know about Linux drivers
> > architecture and general system low  level behavior but maybe  > > somebody
on this list could give us a> > It's not specific to Linux, but RAID in
general.  You need more > than  > two disks to get any significant increase in
performance.  In > fact,  > you may get better performance with Linux software
RAID than > hardware  > RAID.  Linux software RAID is really quite robust.> > >
clue.As i said on my previous post, i found that the server is >  > > inside a
rack that has a VTRAK 15100 SCSI to SATA Enclosure > with a   > > free SCSI bus
(the unit has 2 independant bus) and hard disk > slots.   > >  I think we have
a spare Adaptec 39160 so if it's the case, i > could   > > go with this
solution and buy 4 x WD 250 Gigs "YS" (RAID) > serie   > > drives @ about 75$
each and put all this in RAID 10.  The unit >  > > supports NCQ.  It remains to
be seen how well it can perform > even if  > >  they are talking about "up to
200 MBps".Regards,Guy Boisvert> > I've used both the Promise UltraTrak SX8000
(8-disk RAID50) and  > UltraTrak SX4000> (4-disk Raid10).  Performance was
adequate, but I was using Dell > > PERC2/3 RAID cards.  In testing, a
plain-jane Adaptec SCSI card  > coupled with software RAID gave "significantly"
better results.> > Cheers.> -Ken> Hi Ken,Well, i should be OK with my Adaptec
39160 then.  I'll see if the VTrak 15100 we have is able to push respectable
numbers in RAID 10.  But as "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" stated in another post, it will
be plugged in a straight 32 bits PCI bus on a crappy mainboard so it's a
temporary solution until we get the budget for a new server.  But it should be
relatively easy to beat a single 200 Gig IDE non NCQ drive!Thanks!Guy Boisvert