Александр Кириллов wrote:
CentOS has no clients to whom a contractual duty of support is
owed.  If SLAs, sales engineers, 800 numbers, and such are
wanted or needed, PLEASE buy a contract from someone

TANSTAAFL
And yes I started looking elsewhere and with reasonably priced offer from
Oracle
this project is probably dead in the water.
Hi AK,

Why would you swing so radically in the other direction from free to fee?

Have you looked at SL? They don't have 5.6 but seem to be on a stable 6.0 rel.

Hi,

I'm not actually looking for free.
I'd gladly support the efforts of our "prominent North American Enterprise
Linux vendor"
with what little I have if their offers wouldn't be so ridiculously
expensive.
I hope the situation may change now with Oracle in direct competition with
RH
for RH and RH-based distros user base. BTW Oracle offers installable
binaries for free.
I didn't get into details yet but this sounds like a viable alternative.

<rant>
Scary how our society's ethics and decisions are driven by money.
Pay less money - must be better - right even.
So easy to forget the reason this debate turns up every 10 days or so
- Oracle and others have been free-loading on RH
and in order to survive RH had to take some action - action that in large part
contributes to the delay so many complain about.
Why is it that we don't see the issue that really has driven all this - A large
unethical corporation has taken a free ride on the open-source community
and stuffed it up for all of us.
The cost of doing all the things that RH does, and contributing so much to
the open-source community is paid for by those that need on-call support
and responsiveness.
Now along comes an unethical corporation that sees an opportunity to make
some more money - doing what is right doesn't come into the equation
As I said at the beginning of my rant - if it makes money it must be right -
if it looses money or makes less money it must be wrong.
Please don't put the blame in the wrong place - punish the real villain -
buy something other than oracle!
</rant>
AK