On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/26/11 12:44 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
>>
>> Les, the upstream source RPMs aren't even the "source source" for the
>> upstream build; SRPMS are just a by product of the build of the binaries
>> from source in an SCM (managed by Red Hat's koji), and in theory, given the
>> same identical environment that built the upstream binaries they will
>> re-build to the same binary.  The environment is the hard thing to
>> replicate, since it is a moving target, and each build changes it slightly.
>> It's questionable if upstream could exactly replicate it from their own
>> source RPM's without significant effort (that is, outside of koji).
>
> I don't see how you could miss if you did a 2nd rebuild where the libraries
> populating the build environment are the product of the source you are
> shipping
> (correct dependency listings or not).  Or how you can claim to be shipping
> source that matches your binaries if you don't do it that way.   Does an
> rpmbuild --rebuild of one of the packages in question on a stock RH system
> create a binary that would fail the CentOS QA?

"rpmbuild --rebuild" need not work. Dependencies need not be
satisified by anything Red Hat publishes, and this has happened and
been documented (and addressed in patches upstream).

I went slightly nutso with similar issues when I published an updated
"nx.spec" for CentOS 6 in Bugzilla. There are dependencies on audio
related "devel" packages which are not on RHEL 6.0 installation media,
but only available in the "optional" channel of yum-rhn-plugin.
CentOS, sensibly, doesn't make these funny distinctions and puts all
such publicly licensed packages in one main "os" repository. This can
save a lot of nuttiness when trying to build such packages in mock,
but for a while there I thought they hadn't published the darn thing.