Macromedia's "push" for Flash is not about "over and above" CF development.

It's about separating application functionality from content display. This is win-win
for both the website visitor and your business clients:

A number of companies have already saved tons of money in bandwidth cost - I believe I
remember one company saying they had saved 75% of thier bandwidth cost, and less need
for additional hardware, while increasing site usage and customer satisfaction. Using
Flash as the display and UI mechanism for your web-app, you don't have to re-serve an
entire HTML page everytime the display needs to be updated (i.e., totals recalculated,
dates changed, etc). Instead, you deliver the display once, and then that display (the
Flash UI) can exchange smaller bits of data with the server, without re-delivering the
display, as is done in HTML based web-apps. This can result in significant hardware
and bandwidth savings.

This also makes for a very nice experience for the user - fewer pauses and page
refreshes/rebuilds/redeliveries. And, you can get a lot more functionality in a
smaller space using Flash as the UI for your webapp. It just "feels" more like an
application, rather than "web pages."

A good commercial site to see this in action is the Broadmoor Hotel:
http://reservations.broadmoor.com/

The Designer & Developer Center has a "blue print" Rich Internet application which is
fully documented, and there's quite a bit of information which outlines the advantages
of using a Flash UI for your webapps:
http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx/blueprint/

I hope this helps shed some light on how we think Rich Internet Applications will move
"doing things" on the internet to the next level!

Vernon Viehe
ColdFusion Community Manager
Developer Relations
Macromedia, Inc.