Thanks for the feedback, Ian.
I'll at least start making use of the "isImage()" function.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Skinner [mailto:h...@ilsweb.com]
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:57 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Can this be done?

On 4/19/2010 10:33 AM, Rick Faircloth wrote:
> If appropriate formats are specified in the cffile "accept" parameter,
what
> risk is there?  Some kind of file that "fakes" its format or has malicious
> code embedded in it?

Yes, that can happen.

> And concerning your second concern below, I've always assumed that using
the
> "accept" parameter was enough to verify file format and prevent malicious
> code from being uploaded in a file.  What other tests are there that can
be run
> to verify images?

No, accept simple looks at the file name.  I can name my CFML hacking
file myImage.jpg and it will pass an accept test just fine.  It is not
quite as simple as that to get an code file to fake being an image
file.  But if find that I sleep much easier, if I do *not* underestimate
the resourcefulness of hackers.  The isImage() function should help,
since it actually looks at the file binary data not just the file name.