> Thanks for the response.  Interesting observation - I AM
> using a rethrow in a cfcatch, though I don't think that's
> what's causing the problem.
>
> I use a rethrow because timeout errors come in two types
> here: type=unknown and
> type=com.allaire.coldfusion.request.timeout.  I have 4
> cfcatch's: type=expression, type=database, type=any, type=any.
>
> Inside the first type=any I check if type=...timeout or if
> the first 17 characters of cfcatch.message are "Request timed
> out". If so, I rethrow, and the second type=any is actually
> the cfcatch for timeouts.
>
> Since the caught type is database, I don't think this
> error-handling is getting to the type=any cfcatch statements.
>
> We're not using cferror type=monitor, only type=exception.
> Though perhaps I should be using type=request to catch more
> things if they slip past the cfcatch's.

OK. If you're doing something like this, though, I can see a potential
problem:

<cftry>

        <cfquery ...>

        </cfquery>

        <cfcatch type="database">
        </cfcatch>

        <cfcatch type="any">
                <cfif something>
                        <cfrethrow>
                </cfif>
        </cfcatch>

        <cfcatch type="any">
        </cfcatch>

</cftry>

The second CFCATCH won't throw an exception to the third CFCATCH, but
instead it'll throw it to a higher-level CFCATCH (if one exists, you'd have
this entire CFTRY block wrapped within a CFCATCH in a larger CFTRY!) or to a
calling page, if this is a custom tag.

However, that doesn't seem to address your specific problem, which is with
the first CFCATCH.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496