On 9/7/05, Jaldhar H. Vyas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Andrew Brosnan wrote:
> > But I would think most developers run
> > under mod_perl, no?
>
> If you are going to develop specifically for mod_perl, you should probably
> be writing handlers and using the full-fledged power of the Apache API.

I build almost all of my application so that they can run as a
standalone CGI, but run many of them under Apache::Registry for
performance gains.  There are just too many apps on the server to keep
them all in memory, and many of them are not hit that often, so this
gives me a choice.

I would say that the full Apache API is not really that useful for
application developers (/me dons flame retardant suit).  All you
really need is the ContentHandler phase and
CGI::Application::Plugin::Apache gives you a handler for that if you
need.  The other stuff is pretty cool, but not really necesary for
most developers.

One of the big benefits of CGI::Application is that the structure of
the code that it forces on you fixes > 90% of the problems of running
code under mod_perl.  So by using CGI::Application you can gain a
massive speed increase without (m)any code changes by using
Apache::Registry.

I think this is a very important benefit that CGI::Application has
over a lot of the other perl frameworks that depend heavily on
mod_perl.

Cheers,

Cees