Michael Graham wrote:

I think that some better starting points might be:

  * separating code and design with templates
  * application run modes (e.g. browse, read, edit, add, delete)
  * sessions
  * processing forms (validation and sticky forms)

This is right. CGI Application appears to me to be about creating web apps, not about CGI.

I think the book would be more valuable if were more like a cookbook, with varied examples of custom applications (e.g., time records, contact manager, project collaboration, wiki), rather than built around the example of a weblog, which I can't imagine needing to program myself, with so many good weblog apps out there already.

It's pleasant to see such enthusiasm for a book that hasn't been written. It might be interesting and fun to create or edit the book using a wiki. That way, you would end up with a valuable publication even if no publisher sees it as a moneymaker.

--
Bruce McKenzie
Business Information Graphics, Inc.

v. 212-477-4288