On 31 Mar 2006 at 12:18, Jesse Erlbaum wrote:

> One other note, on which I have been harping for years:  If you are
> about to tell me that you can't have a separate instance script for each
> application because your login system would have to be duplicated in
> each application, then you're doing things wrong.  Authentication and
> authorization belongs in Apache -- not in your CGI-App module.

No, this is not the reason, why I want to split my application but
still, I am not convinced that authorization belongs in Apache. Say I
have an application with a company and branches. Now I want that a user
is only allowed to run the runmodes with data of the brach the user
belongs to.
This info is within the application and Apache doesn't know anything
about it -- at least if I don't want to duplicate my branch layout in a
htgroups file or similar.
Or if this case is still simple enough that with some tricks Apache can
use the info in the database, what about special cases where a user is
granted rights just for part of the info, say anything, except sallary?
The 'knowledge' about the different roles of users is inherently within
the application and I cannot see how Apache can do really flexible
access restriction without being part of the application.

Cheers,
Michael