Yes, that would be perfect, but did it survive into the 18th century? Could you point me to some evidence?

On Mar 25, 2008, at 1:48 AM, James A Stimson wrote:

Dear Doc:
How about a bandora? Aren't there some accounts of the Germans playing it
with a plectrum for baroque continuo?
Cheers,
Jim

                     Doc Rossi
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] To: cittern list <cittern@cs.dartmouth.edu>
                     shing.com>               cc:
Subject: [CITTERN] plucked bass
                     03/24/2008 06:07
                     AM

I'm working on a project involving mid-18th-century dance music mostly
from France, Belgium and Austria. I'd like to have a non-keyboard
plucked instrument in the bass. What are my options besides theorbo,
archlute, harp? Mandora and Colascione come to mind - is there
anything else?

Thank you,

Doc