No, no, no!

  the mandora wa a small lute like instrument that, in the Medeaival/
Renaissance period was tuned in a combinationof foruths and fifths..see
Praetorius. By the Baroque era, various developments had occured and it had
evolved into the mandolino ro mandolin, whihc was not standardized as the
Neapolitan version but had variou snumbers of gut strings and tunings...a
soprano lute, yes, you could indeed say that, but the earleir mandora/mandola
was not tha or at least did not utilize that type of tuning.

  Check out Rob MacKillops recordings as well as the Broadside Band and Ron
McFarlane for more on the historic mandora.

  As far s the 18th C Neopolitan Mandola, as made by Gaetano Vinaccia of
Naples, it did and DOES exist.

  One extant isntrument is in the Musee Instrumental in Brussels, No. 3182,
according to the book I have, with a photo and description.

  Overall Length: 108.0cm. Body Length: 53.0 cm, Body max width: 33.0 cm String
Length: 77.5cm.

  four double courses, lower two wound.  This is definitely NOT a mandolin!

  As I said, there may not be reproductions available, and the surviving
examples few, but it strikes me that the roundback mandocellos still made in
Italy may not be accurately the same thing, but perhaps a close approximation.

  Brad

Doc Rossi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I think the tuning for the Mandora was a tone lower than modern
guitar, plus pitch may have been lower as well - from one to 3
semitones.

You're absolutely right about information being ignored - that's
always upset me.