Thank you for this and especially for reminding me of the Moravian
   church (in particular the missions to North America in the 18thC).
   This spurred me to search more about it and I see that it was indeed
   originally located in Bohemia and Moravia but that after counter
   reformation persecution a branch was established in Herrnhut (Saxony)
   in 1722 which, as you say, seems to have become the missionary hub.
   Since the mandora/gallichon was only developed in the very late 17thC,
   then you're quite right to suggest that by this time there'd probably
   have been few direct links with the original Bohemian/Moravian
   locations and mandora use in that part of the world. Nevertheless the
   mandora did spread pretty rapidly throughout German speaking (that is
   through the educated classes) lands and by 1750 would have been known
   in Saxony.

   What I meant by the tablature looking like mandora music, was that
   melody and bass are often seperated by one ot more courses which is, of
   course, a feature only really possible if plucked with fingers. And
   here I show my ignorance of the cittern: are there any mid 18thC
   sources unequivocally for the cittern that require such finger
   plucking? - I had supposed it was all plectrum.

   Contrarywise, your point about the use of the cittern in the Moravian
   church in North America is equally telling - how do we know about this?
   I looked on the modern church's website but couldn't find a link.

   Martyn