Hi,

Seth <wbu...@gmail.com> writes:

>>Just discovered org-mode myself --- does anyone know of guide to using
>>it with clojure for a total newbie?
>
> I havent actually used it for clojure per se. I was just imagining how
> it could be used. You have the ability to embed arbitrary code (from
> many different languages). You can edit the code in its own emacs
> major mode and then it will automatically be saved back once done. You
> can then document it using org-modes awesome abilities.
> However, this is sort of clumsy.

There are a variety of options here

- you can write *all* of your code in a single large Org-mode file, and
  tangle out .clj files for compilation.

- you can write *all* of your code in .clj files, and simply link to the
  code from your .org files

- you can write some code in external .clj files, and some embedded in
  .org files

- with current versions of Org-mode it is even possible to propagate
  changes from a tangled .clj file back into the code blocks in a .org
  file if e.g. you are working on a project with non-org users who would
  rather edit the .clj files directly.  See the `org-babel-detangle'
  function.

> I would rather be able to have all of my code in all of its 'little
> files' arranged in directories. And when im editing the clojure files,
> i would like to be like 'oh, i want to document this better/introduce
> the motivation etc! And then automatically have the code, or parts of
> the code, copied to the org file and then i could document it. And
> then jump back to the code to continue developing. And have changes in
> the clojure file automatically reflected in the org file. I was
> thinking that 'chunk' labels could be embedded in the source code
> (like in marginalia in github: just comments like ;;##Block Name) so
> that we wouldn't have to have all code in one file in one chunk, but
> could split it up.

I am a grad student and spend much of my time writing code and running
experiments in Clojure.  I do all of this in an environment of mixed
.org and .clj files.  I find I prefer to write larger libraries directly
in .clj files, but then I often embed the snippets of code required for
running experiments, generating tables/graphs and analyzing experimental
results in code blocks embedded in Org-mode files.  From these code
blocks I can either tangle the clojure code out into executable scripts,
or execute it /in situ/ in the .org file with the results dumped
directly into my org-mode buffer.

I find this to be a *very* comfortable research and development
environment, although as one of the main developers of the code block
support for Org-mode I'm certainly biased.

Cheers -- Eric