Hi Tim,

I'm confused as to what parts of LP practice are not supported by
Org-mode.  Are you aware that Org-mode files can be exported to formats
more suitable for publication and human consumption (e.g. woven).  See
http://orgmode.org/manual/Exporting.html

Tim Daly <d...@axiom-developer.org> writes:

>  I looked at org-mode.
>
> Note that 'literate programming' involves writing literature
> for other people to read. The executable code is included as
> a 'reduction to practice' but the emphasis is on describing
> the ideas. Rich has some powerful ideas that he has reduced
> to running code. What we need to do is start with a description
> of the ideas and bridge the gap to the actual implementation.
>
> Ideally you can read a literate program like a novel, from
> beginning to end, and find that every line of code has a
> 'motivation' for being introduced. The side-effect is that
> there is a reason why the idea is implemented in a particular
> way rather than 'just because it worked'. Literate programming
> tends to improve code quality because you have to explain it.
>
> Emacs org-mode, on the other hand, is a useful development
> technology but it really isn't literate programming.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts as to why Org-mode is not a
literate programming tool.

Thanks -- Eric