Mark, John, Gaz:
Your responses are all suggestive but I don't know where to go from here so I am going to make one more cry for help -- and to this group rather than the leiningen-specific one suggested by Mark because my basic problem is really how-to-get-clojure/emacs-running-under-MacOsX.

Here is the situation, and my further questions:

-- I am running OsX 10.6 on a machine that has never had an earlier OsX version running on it so there should not be problems involving 10.5 to 10.6 upgrade.

-- I have downloaded and installed Macports -- including a recent upgrade. If Macports' version of curl is indeed the culprit, how do I get it replaced with a version that could download leiningen? Do I dare just simply uninstall Macports -- which I am not using right now in any case? (All I want to do right now is work with Clojure!)

-- Although it surprised me, when I checked to see to what kernel my iMac was defaulting, I was told i386. What else could the leiningen installation process be asking for? Surely it wouldn't be expecting x86_64.

-- In the webpage Mark pointed me to is the assertion: "If only ppc and i386 are present, while you require x86_64, then the library cannot be loaded." But also, from a different commentator: "This issue was fixed in a later version of MacPorts with better 10.6 x86_64 compatibility." Is there some way to determine if the installation process is indeed expecting an x86_64 architecture?

Thanks again.
  --Larry