You guys are great! As my dad used to say when he had been greatly helped: Each of you is a scholar and a gentleman.

I admire your expertise. You each had knowledgeable and quite helpful suggestions. I ended up using Alex's ideas for getting the Leiningen installation process to avoid Macports' version of /curl/ and go back to the Mac OsX's original version, and from there on everything has worked well. Later I will install a version of Macports specifically adapted to Snow Leopard, /a la/ the link from Mark -- or replace Macports with Homebrew, as recommended by Gaz -- but right now I don't need either, and I want to spend my time digging more deeply into how Clojure enables one to utilize multi-core processors.

And the Clojure IDE I've got running to support that digging is just beautiful: Snow Leopard + Aquamacs + Slime.

Thanks again.
  --Larry