Hi Larry,

As a quick temporary workaround you could just set your PATH environment
variable so that it picks up the curl executable from /usr/bin instead
of the broken MacPorts one from /opt/local/bin.

$ which curl
/opt/local/bin/curl
$ export PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH
$ which curl
/usr/bin/curl

You'll need to do that each time you install/upgrade Leiningen though.

Since you're not using MacPorts, personally I'd opt to just rename the
entire MacPorts directory (/opt/local) out of the way:

$ sudo mv /opt/local /opt/local.broken

You could then delete it or reinstall it at a later time, whatever you
prefer.

Cheers,

Alex