On 06.03.2013 02:00, Alex Huang wrote:
> Serge,
>
> In CloudStack, you can control where VM's are deployed.
>
> If you don't want to do any programming, the easiest is to do host-tags and
> storage-tags to control where vms run and their storage deployed.  However,
> that gives you very static information.
>
> If you're fine with writing code, CloudStack offers three different types of
> plugins to fine tune the placement.  You would write one of these plugins,
> change the componentcontext.xml to use your implementation and you can
> control the placement of the VMs.
>
> - DeploymentPlanner: Called by CloudStack to find placement for VMs.
> - HostAllocator: Called by DeploymentPlanner to find a hypervisor host for
> VMs.
> - StoragePoolAllocator: Called by DeploymentPlanner to find storage for
> volumes.
>
> Generally, we advise that DeploymentPlanner should be used for heuristics and
> the allocators are used for actual limitations of the hypervisor or storage.
> For example, in your case, you may want to write a service of your own to
> keep track of actual usage of cpu and peak times and then use that
> information to feed it back to CloudStack via a
> SuperComputingDeploymentPlanner.
>
> It's a little hard to be clear without the specifics.  Let me know if you
> need more information.
>
> --Alex

Alex,
I cannot provide you specific information at the moment.
What you have just explained is probably good for one idea I have.
The idea is to add some functionality to the UNICORE Rich Client [1] for
creating HPC infrastructure in the Cloud which can be used for job
submition aftewards.

I will certainly come back to this if there is time. For now I want to
learn the process of creation and customization of system VMs to provide
some specific services to user created VMs in Cloud.

#Serge

[1] http://www.unicore.eu/unicore/architecture/client-layer.php#anchor_urc