Hello All,

Just thought I would chime in on this.  While I thoroughly agree with what has been written on the subject - CML is not in and of itself a hereditary disease, I thought you would be interested in knowing that I know at least three (3) fellow CMLers who all lost their fathers to CML.  That being said, about a year and half ago I posted a message on Rob's list and subsequently uploaded a file, of a study that was done by Dr. Jeffrey Lipton of The Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto.  He has one of the largest CML patient bases in Canada, and he was interested in retrospectively examining the occurrence of CML and other cancers in families.  If I remember correctly, and I would have to look this up to verify it, he did seem to see a link between the incidence of colon cancer and CML in family lines.  I am not sure that this has been studied any further.  The study was brought to my attention by one of the fellow CMLers who father died of CML (in the early 70's) and who is also a retired cytogenticist (which is quite interesting as she spent a great deal of time diagnosing CML in the lab, and then later was dxed with it).

When I was at ASH, we attended a session on the corporate Friday that looked and environmental issues that may be involved in some forms of Leukemia and Lymphoma.  The use of Pesticides has been linked with childhood Leukemias (typically AML and ALL) and some forms of lymphoma as well as exposure to radiation and benzene.  I think I will dig out my notes from this session and post it for you, it was quite interesting.

It does sound though like the folks who write the script for ER (I didn't see the episode in question - been ploughing through a pile of books I received as presents), really goofed.  I'll be looking forward to what Jennifer G. tells us from the site she mentioned.

Cheers to all,
Cheryl-Anne

New! Sign up for local CML support group meetings in your local community at http://cml.meetup.com

Apply for Commercial Real Estate loans online and submit your deal to dozens of hungry lenders in just minutes. Loan programs for all types of business and commercial real estate. Apply anytime at http://realestatezoo.com

CML (Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia Support List)