On Jan 9, 2014, at 12:55 PM, SevenBits <sevenbitst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Andy Lee <ag...@mac.com> wrote:
>> That's a great thread, thanks!
>>
>> BTW Apple removed the splitview-without-NSSplitView sample code that's
>> mentioned in the thread.  For anyone still interested, someone named Darcy
>> Liu seems to have been archiving all of Apple's sample code:
>>
>> <https://github.com/darcyliu/CocoaSampleCode>
>>
>> The splitview example is here:
>>
>> <https://github.com/darcyliu/CocoaSampleCode/tree/master/Cocoa_Autolayout_Demos/SplitView>
>>
>> And Darcy has a similar archive of iOS code:
>>
>> <https://github.com/darcyliu/SampleCode>
>>
>> You can't just download an individual sample project AFAICT -- you have to
>> clone or download the entire repo -- but that's not such a bad thing.
>
> Unless you mind downloading over 300 MBs of code.

True.  I personally don't but I know others have slow connections and/or
limited disk space.

> I guess if you're a
> fan of sample code then it doesn't matter. However, what I would be
> concerned about is how up to date some of the projects are. Some of
> them were last updated over 11 months ago, and who knows how often
> that person updates the repository?

I don't see anything to be concerned about.  The definitive source should
always be Apple.  Furthermore, if Apple removes the sample code from their
site, they presumably did so for a reason.  The code may have been poorly
written, or it may use techniques that we should no longer use.  Still, there
may be times when we'd like to see the removed examples anyway, and in those
cases it's nice to have somewhere to look.

I ran the fake-SplitView example back when it was available, and it bugged me
that I couldn't find it again.

--Andy