Thanks Dennis,

I'm using Struts "out of the box" so I have no logging package in place.
I have no commons-logging.properties file and nothing referring to Log4J or
anything of the sort.

It seems to me that commons-logging is using the Tomcat default logging
(thus it outputs to 'catalina.log').

I've gone ahead and downloaded Log4J and included the Log4J.jar file in my
WEB-INF/lib directory when deploying my webapp. I've also created a
commons-logging.properties file (below) that I found as an example online.

#########################

#
# $Id: commons-logging.properties,v 1.0 2006/06/31 14:35:33Z dhall $
#

#
# This file controls which logging package the Jakarta Commons Logging
package
# uses. This can be changed to point to any supported logging package. See
# http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging for a list of supported logging
# packages.
#
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jF
actory

However, when I try to deploy my war file in Tomcat I now get a
ClassDefNotFound org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory error.

On the commons-logging website, I see that Log4jFactory is deprecated and
not included in commons-logging 1.1 and beyond.

How do I tell commons-logging to use Log4j (or do I not tell it since it
looks for it by default)?

Thanks,

Darren