This might be a good time for those of us who find microbiology and organic chemistry challenging (to say the least!) to step back a bit from the question of inputs, "organic" or not, and refocus our attention on the dynamics of the soil food web itself. I'm a great fan of Elaine Ingham's exacting and thorough treatment at http://www.soilfoodweb.com/sfi_approach1.html.

If you're short on time, scroll down past the midpoint to the section on the "Nitrogen Cycle and the Soil Food Web." I predict that you'll want to keep coming back for more nibbles, as time permits. (Sorry, I can't remember who first recommended this link. Many thanks, whoever you are.)