Karen,

As a scientist I am very strict with the use of my terminology.  As
Sarah noted, "organic" isn't the best term to use when describing
agricultural products or methods- particularly because it often
clashes with the chemistry term, which as far as I am concerned takes
precedence.  Organic chemicals are those that contain C-H bonds, and
include a lot of industrially-derived chemicals including commercial
pesticides, herbicides, plastics, and a lot of the hazardous
pollutants out there which we'd rather not have anywhere near the food
we grow or eat.  If I were to discuss these chemicals with other
scientists and engineers, I would describe such chemicals as organic.
And with respect to urea, it is a naturally-occurring organic compound
formed by the breakdown of proteins and amino acids within an
organism, and is a major component of urine.  As a result, urine and
specifically urea could be categorized similarly to manure for
sustainable agriculture, depending on the source and processing
methods of such materials.

Atmospheric nitrogen gas (N2) is very non-reactive, and not many
organisms are actually able to take advantage of it to build their
tissues.  An exception to these are microorganisms that live on the
roots of legumes and nitrify atmospheric nitrogen to forms that plants
can take advantage of.  The opposite process can also occur
(de-nitrification) by soil microorganisms, and can account for
agricultural greenhouse gas emissions.

Best regards,
Guy