I go with $5 a pound (organically grown).  That takes into account greens
and herbs (which retail for a much-higher per pound price and which we grow
and donate a great deal of) and things that are less.  I think $5 is an
underestimate of the value, based on what we donate.

From: community_garden-boun...@list.communitygarden.org
[mailto:community_garden-boun...@list.communitygarden.org] On Behalf Of
tanyagar...@gmail.com
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 3:17 PM
To: Mary Reilly-Kliss
Cc: <community_garden@list.communitygarden.org>
Subject: Re: [Community_garden] Current Dollar per Pound Market Value

For locally grown (often organic) produce, I'd go to local farmers' markets
and survey prices early in the season, at the peak of the season, and late
in the season for each veg/fruit/herb/flower of interest. Or survey prices
at local grocery stores. It doesn't make sense to me to look for national
prices.

Cherry tomatoes were $5 a pint at the grocery store this week. I noticed
because my plants have started producing by the pint this week.

Tanya
Palo alto, calif.
Sent from my iPod

On Jul 29, 2011, at 11:45 AM, "Mary Reilly-Kliss" <mar...@charter.net>
wrote:

> Fellow Community Gardeners:
>
> One of the best ways to "justify" the existence of community gardens and
their impact on an area is via the economic impact of the program.  I am
putting together a year-end report and need some statistics.

> Does anyone have a current national dollar-per-pound average market value
for locally grown produce?  The most recent figure which I have is  $2.00
per pound from 2009.

> Thanks!
>
> Yours in Gardening,
> Mary Reilly-Kliss, Coordinator