Hello Everyone,

Here in Dayton Ohio we have a one year old accessible garden at the local
Access Center. We have 4 roll-under beds and 2 raised beds. The garden did
pretty well for its first year but we have had trouble keeping the roll-under
beds watered. The beds were purchased kits and the bottom of the bed is just
lattice, landscape cloth, and plastic mesh. The depth of the beds is only about
6-7 inches deep. This depth Is important for the bed to be tall enough to roll
under and low enough to reach over. We have done some heavy mulching and
installed some slow watering milk-jugs to encourage water absorption. We did
this late in the season can't say yet if this will be enough to keep water in
the beds just yet. I have the feeling we might need to rebuild the bottom of
the beds but would like to avoid doing this if possible.

We have also had issue with growing anything in the beds. The beds were filled
with fresh compost and we only attempted to grow shallow rooted things like
lettuce and annual herbs. The crops were not successful the first time (most
likely) due to lack of water, however, most recently they were planted with
mustard, lettuce, and maybe peas and watered often and still did not produce.

Any ideas?!

Thanks!
Kasey

Kasey Henneman
Grow With Your Neighbors Program Assistant
Five Rivers MetroParks
1375 E. Siebenthaler Ave.
Dayton, OH 45414

O  // 937-277-6545 x1617
F  // 937-277-6546
kasey.henne...@metroparks.org

[cid:image001.jpg@01C884F1.7AFDB050]  Visit http://www.metroparks.org and get
out for an adventure in your parks!

you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy
this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have
received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Please
note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Five Rivers MetroParks. Five
Rivers MetroParks accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email.