Hi Kasey,
Sarah's comments are quite valid. We have had a large number of samples
submitted to our lab this past season, from both homeowners and community
gardeners, with requests for assistance because of poor plant performance.  For
the most part, the available nutrients, levels of soluble salts, and amounts of
organic matter in the soil were higher than typical crops would prefer them to
be because of overabundant compost applications. It is usually a good thing to
increase the amounts of organic matter by adding compost but keep in mind that
a 4 to 8 % soil organic matter is a recommended amount to strive for. More than
that, in wet years (which we will be seeing more of in the northeast and
midwest because of climate change) creates giant spongelike conditions in the
soil.

Soils high in organic matter from compost or other organic matter applications
can absorb great quantities of water. This is good in dry years but in wet
years, like we in the Northeast have been experiencing, this may present a
problem as plant roots require oxygen to be able to take up water. If all of
the pores in the soil are filled with water, the oxygen is displaced and plants
can take up neither water, nor the plant nutrients dissolved in that water, so
they appear small and nutrient deficient, regardless of how much fertilizer,
either organic or synthetic, is applied. Also, check that the pH, soluble salts
and nutrients are in the range that the plants you are growing prefer or can
tolerate.

This drainage/saturation issue is one reason that commercial potting mixes were
created - to give plants growing in container or container-like conditions, a
good physical and chemical rooting medium to grow in. Compost is a great soil
amendment but it is not made with these specifications in mind. I would try one
of the Cornell mixes, an already prepared container planting mix, or at least
mixing your compost with various other amendments to reduce the typically high
salts, pH and nutrients found in many composts.

Many successful home and community gardeners do view soil testing as a tool to
assess their gardens' chemical properties so that environmentally sound
nutrient management decisions can be made to ensure good plant production as
well as to minimize adverse affects of adding excessive and unwarranted amounts
of compost or manures (just for the sake of adding something each year) to
their gardens, community garden plots, or small scale production plots.

Keep in mind that dark chocolate is good for some people because it contains
anti-oxidants. However, if copious amounts are consumed, the weight gain can
lead to more serious medical issues like high chlorestrol, diabetes and heart
problems. So, like compost, it is best consumed in moderation.

Dawn Pettinelli
Extension Instructor
Department of Plant Science and Landscape Architecture
6 Sherman Place U5102
Storrs, CT 06269-5102
Phone: 860.486.4274
Fax: 860.486.4562
email: dawn.pettine...@uconn.edu<mailto:dawn.pettine...@uconn.edu>
blog: www.uconnladybug.wordpress.com<http://www.uconnladybug.wordpress.com>
UCONN Home & Garden Education Center.........Knowledge to Grow On!
UCONN Soil Nutrient Analysis Lab........Does Your Soil Pass The Test?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.  Franklin D. Roosevelt