I agree 9x9 is wonderful, but a 19x19 for deep testing would be nice.
To many variations and  you risk the threat of diluting the engine
pool.

-Josh

On 5/21/07, Heikki Levanto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 03:13:09PM -0400, Chris Fant wrote:
> Why not 13x13 before 19x19?

Because the next step would be 15x15, and then 17x17, and when (if) we
get to 19x19, there are so few competitors around that the whole
tournament won't make any sense.

I think it is better to stick to 9x9 as the "beginners" tournament,
where it is easy to test new ideas in quick games, and 19x19 as the
"serious" tournament where we can see how good computers are at playing
the game like we humans do.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

  - Heikki

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk